Welcome to the IWP Newsletter
| Dear IWP Ladies|
Welcome to March!
Emily Dickinson wrote that “March is the month of expectation … ” and I am happy to let you know that some new and interesting IWP activities can be ‘expected’ this month. Yes – they will be online but as we are still not allowed to gather in person, having some dates on our calendars is a starting point. Fingers crossed for what hopefully lays ahead as the vaccines roll out, the virus cases decrease and our lives become less confined.
IWP – MEMBER SURVEY FEBRUARY 2021 Thanks a million for your quick and enthusiastic replies to our membership survey, a full 70% of members replied and as promised we are sharing the results with all of you today.
Our members expressed a wide range of opinions, very typical for a diverse organization, expectations and needs differed based on age group, personal circumstances and past experiences.
We invite all of you to help us to continue to build on the strong foundations of members who worked for and supported IWP before us.
Top 6 Activities List:
- 70% of members responded.
- 59% have been members for more than 2 years
- 23% have been members between 1-2 years
- 18% have had less than a year, these ladies have only known IWP during pandemic times!!
- 91% of members understand that fees are essential for the IWP to thrive and pledged their continued support. Amazing!
Post Covid Top 6 Wish List:
- 51% – Coffee Mornings. Currently Online every Tuesday at 10:30am – find the link on our site.
- 46% – Excursions and Outings
- 36% – Special Events
- 32% – Sintra Hikes and Walking Groups
- 22% – Book Clubs. These take place virtually at present. Find links on our website.
- 18% – Arts & Crafts Groups – see our Newsletter for March options.
- 17% of members do not participate in activities but support the IWP through their membership fees, regardless. Paying it forward, ladies – a HUGE Thank you!
LOADS of lovely messages of encouragement in these difficult times. Thanks ladies – these comments made our day:
- 74% – Excursions and Outings. We will have fun together when the pandemic is behind us!
- 62% – Coffee Mornings. We can’t wait to start these again in person just as soon as it’s safe!
- 55% – Special Events. Please contact us with your ideas. We are already beginning to plan our first Open Day, when possible, and the IWP 30th Anniversary Celebration. Stay tuned
- 43% – Sintra Hikes and Walking Groups. We can’t wait to get back out on the trails with you!
- 33% – Arts & Crafts Groups – Annemarie Simons –
- 32% – Language Classes – Annemarie Simons – email@example.com
- A few final Comments from Members – all important as they will help us shape our future:
A final note of thanks for making the time, and for sharing your talents, skills, experience and thoughts with your fellow members. The Executive Board is reviewing all survey results in detail and will plan our future activities with member input in mind.
- Need more non-Cascais activities – any members out there with suggestions?
- Need activities for working women, and more senior ladies – let us know what would be useful
- A marketplace/member info exchange on our website – we will check this out with our website advisor.
With warm regards from Britta on behalf of the Executive Board
So without further ado, we want to announce some new daytime opportunities and one fun evening event.
To sign up for all activities, please log in to the IWP website and go to the home page and scroll down.
BOOKTOPIA! – LED BY PATTI FLETCHER
IWP MEMBER AND BOOK LOVER!
When: every 3rd Tuesday of the month beginning on March 16th
Time: from 2pm – 4pm
Where: for now via Google Meet. After confinement, hosting in turns at people’s homes or at the IWP office.
What do we read: to be discussed in the first meeting, maybe start with favourite books? Books should be available in print and as an e-reader.
Maximum: 10 participants
TWO UNIQUE ZOOM WORKSHOPS WITH DEBORAH DAHAB – IWP MEMBER AND INTERCULTURAL PSYCHOLOGIST LIGHTEN YOUR LANGUAGE LEARNING:
THE ULTIMATE BLUEPRINT TO LEARNING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (EVEN IF YOU’VE FAILED BEFORE)
Many people start learning a new language without really thinking about crucial issues that can make or break the learning process. If you started out extremely excited and then saw your motivation dwindle, you know what I mean.
If any of this describes you, this workshop will help! You will learn a step-by-step system to approach your language learning in a structured way, setting yourself up for success!
After this workshop, you’ll feel confident and empowered to start or continue learning a new language with ease. You’ll also get a free guide to help you stay on track with your language learning success.
When: Friday, March 12th at 10:30am (for about an hour + Q & A)
Maximum: 16 participants
| INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION: |
TOOLS AND TIPS TO COMMUNICATE BETTER IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY
Communication in different cultures can be stressful. We can get frustrated and annoyed with miscommunication, feel misunderstood, and not get things done. But it doesn’t have to be that way! If you know how communication happens and certain cultural differences, you’ll be prepared to understand and be understood anywhere you are.
In this workshop, we’ll explore what communication (really) means. You’ll learn tips and tools to feel confident so you can communicate effectively in any culture.
When: Wednesday, March 24th at 10:30am (for about an hour + Q & A)
Maximum: 16 participants
A TWO PART iPhone WORKSHOP WITH MARGUERITE BEATY
IWP MEMBER AND PHOTOGRAPHER EXTRAORDINAIRE!
Part One: Create a table-top photo – Photograph a still-life with backlighting – Learn how to focus your mobile – Learn how to adjust your brightness
When: Thursday, March 11th, from 3pm – 5pm
Part Two: Show and Tell – Editing on your mobile camera – The fabulous App I like to use – How to take a great selfie.
When: Thursday, March 25th from 3pm – 5pm
ST. PATRICK’S TRIVIA NIGHT
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 17TH.
7.15 PM – 9.45 PM (ish)
An online fun-filled evening of intriguing questions – created by our own Heather Evans – IWP member in Cascais.
Fun! Prizes! A way for us to connect! An excuse to wear green! Drink vinho verde! Eat corned beef and cabbage!
SIGN UP AS SOON AS YOU CAN!
Prizes for the first ten teams to sign up!
The team should consist of 4 members, each in their own household that have phone access to WhatsApp or FaceTime – whichever you prefer.
Each team needs a Team Name and a Captain. The Captain will put their teammates’ phone numbers into a ‘group’ on their phone, so that one video call on the night of the event will place the whole team on the 4 phone screens, ready to chat and answer the questions.
WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO THIS AND HAVE A PRACTICE RUN BEFORE THE EVENT! Questions? Let us know!
Anyone who lives in the household of any team member is welcome to participate ….partners, husbands, children, pets, leprechauns – you name it.
PLEASE NOTE: We ask that you abide by COVID rules and do not invite other people into your homes for this event. IWP cannot take any responsibility for outcomes from families or friends not following our guidelines and regulations of the local authorities.
If you don’t have a group and want to play – PLEASE just let us know right away. There will be plenty of singles/doubles who we can match up. You’ll make friends! You might win!
CAPTAINS: please email us the Team Name, the players names and their email addresses. We will send each one a link to the Google Meet that will start the evening off.
Please send this info to firstname.lastname@example.org and me, email@example.com
ON THE EVENING OF THE EVENT
At 7:15 pm – Log on to the Google Meet link and join the party! We will have a little time to see each other and go over any details and/or questions. Excellent outfits will be admired and you will get to see the competition! Have your phone charged and handy because …..
Just before 7:30 – While we are still on the Google Meet – the Captains will be asked to call their team. We want to make sure that there are no technical hitches that may need a last minute resolution. As soon as we’re good to go – everyone will leave the Google Meet and go to their email where the questions will have been sent.
Time to play the game! The Captains are the only ones who need to keep the answers on their question sheet. Have fun!
Do I have to ask you to NOT ‘Google’ any answers and be honest about your smartness? Surely not! Be in it for the contribution – not the credit!
At 9:15pm – the answers will be emailed out to everyone. The team will check their answers against the list and Captains will tally the score and email the number of points earned back to firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g. TEAM SHAMROCK – 36)
While Heather is working her magic to find a winner or two, log back onto the Google Meet and rejoin the group to await the results. You can actually click back on to the meeting at any point in the evening as I shall be manning the screen in case anyone has a question or you just want to take a break.
Please sign up and come join the fun – can’t wait to see you all!
Save the Date! Mark your Calendar!
The 2021 AGM – Financial Review is scheduled for Details regarding the meeting will be sent in a separate email closer to the date, along with a Google Meet link. Many thanks!
Wednesday 24th March at 2pm
The Executive Board
- We are always looking for members to help our IWP Executive Board run this wonderful organisation. If you would like to get involved, please click here to contact us.
- Please note that in keeping with the objectives of the Association, the promotion of a business or the sale of goods or services is not allowed.
Together, we are a diverse and vibrant organization. Like our beloved Past-President Maria Barros said:
‘IWP women are like Portuguese azulejos. Azulejos are painted ceramic tiles. Each is beautiful individually; when joined together they create new patterns of diverse colours and motifs’
Executive President of IWP